A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 NKJV
“Pursue love . . .” I Corinthians 14:1 NKJV
“And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.” Ephesians 5:2 NKJV
This is a New Covenant command because of its depth. In the Old Testament the command was to “love others as you love yourself,” or “treat others as you would treat yourself.” But Jesus’ command is deeper. It’s a higher standard. He commands us to love others as He loves us. Jesus has accepted us no matter who we are or what we’ve done. How do we pursue Christlike love today?
We need to pursue, to go after Christlike love. Christ will NOT entrust his power with immature, unloving Christians. Walking in Christlike love ensures the joy of the Lord. The saddest Christian is the one who is living a selfish life!
THIS HAS TO BE THE MAIN FOCUS FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US.
1. Be accepting of people.
2. Get in the habit of committing ourselves to the WELL BEING of someone else, of others.
3. Forgive people unconditionally. Hold no grudges.
4. Kindness in speech and action, including reactions toward negativity aimed at you.
5. It is impossible to love others if you are focused on yourself! A victim mentality is a SELFISH MENTALITY.
6. Speak the truth in love but MAKE SURE YOUR MANNER AND MOTIVE ARE LOVING.
7. When you witness to unsaved people, you are expressing your love for them.
8. Walk in humility and compassion. It starts at home. How do we speak to our spouses? How do we speak to our children?
9. LOOK TO JESUS! KEEP ASKING THE LORD. PRAY EVERY DAY! PURSUE IT! Cooperate with the Holy Spirit. Apologize when we need to! Confess our unloving attitudes! Ask the Lord to fill us with love.
LORD, HELP ME TO WALK IN CHRIST LIKE LOVE TODAY. CLEANSE ME! CHANGE ME!
10. God is looking for lovers. Let us as a church to go beyond the shallow waters of superficial love. Let us walk in true AGAPE love. A love of the will, of commitment, of choice, a true concern for the well being of others.
11. The first step is to CHOOSE to be a loving Christian.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7